+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storing sofnolime in scrubber housing!!!

RBW Member Stewart McMickan is an unknown quantity at this point Stewart McMickan's Avatar

Storing sofnolime in scrubber housing!!!

Any Recommendations on storing sofnolime after only 1hrs use for periods of up to three weeks? should it be replaced or does it have much effect of the duration of the scrubber? at present i make sure that it is dry and store it in an air tight container.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Re: Storing sofnolime in scrubber housing!!!

My view is that if it is not absorbing CO2 then it should be ok.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

we have been doing this for a year now and haven't died once yet:)
    the amount of Co2 in room air is very low compared to breath and it's not being actively circulated through the scrubber...and that's if you just left it sitting out (not a good idea)...I bag our scrubber housing/with sorb after drying overnight.
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 27th April 2007 at 23:42.

Gill Envy

New Member Bill Pringle is an unknown quantity at this point Bill Pringle's Avatar

I have a couple of rubber stoppers for my Dolphin canister which seem to work just fine, Also had a friend whom used a tupperware cake container for his radial Mk 15 canister.

Know the wreck below? Dave Faye will become famous soon enough Dave Faye will become famous soon enough Dave Faye will become famous soon enough Dave Faye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    I bag our scrubber housing/with sorb after drying overnight.
    Gil are you saying you keep the scrubber in the canister insert let it dry overnight and them place the canister insert in an airtight bag?
    Is this how most store it after shorter duration dives? Anyone want to give me some input.

I just say f-it and repack most of the time.

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    we have been doing this and haven't died once yet:)
    the amount of Co2 in room air is very low compared to breath and it's not being actively circulated through the scrubber...and that's if you just left it sitting out (not a good idea)...I bag our scrubber housing/with sorb after drying overnight.
    so is this is way we should be storing it ? let it dry and then put it in a bag? i was doing that as soon as i came after the dive,and so far so good, but does that affect the scrubber in any way?

you made me curious now.

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

DRDC Paper

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart McMickan  View Original Post
    Any Recommendations on storing sofnolime after only 1hrs use for periods of up to three weeks? should it be replaced or does it have much effect of the duration of the scrubber? at present i make sure that it is dry and store it in an air tight container.
    All I can think of is seven days...

Effects on Scrubber Endurance of Storing Soda Lime in CF Rebreathers.
    Eaton. 1995
    RRR ID: 3871

Abstract:
    Canadian Forces divers using rebreather diving apparatus are currently restricted to pre-dive preparation times of only 6 hours. A proposal was made to increase this time to 7 days. Theoretically, this was possible; however, no empirical data were available to indicate that the chemical carbon dioxide absorbent could survive an extended storage period in Canadian Forces rebreathers. Consequently, the Experimental Diving Unit of the Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine conducted a study to determine if storage of soda lime would reduce the carbon dioxide scrubber endurance. The tests measured scrubber endurance using proposed NATO standard procedures under three conditions: (a) no storage; (b) seven days of storage; and (c) 1 hour under the endurance test conditions, followed by 7 days storage and then completion of the endurance test. The results indicated no difference between the three conditions; thereby, supporting the proposal for up to 7 days of storage. On the other hand, issues related to cold weather operations biological hazards, heavy exertion and accelerated material wear imposed some restrictions on rebreather storage.

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

my postdive procedure is to unhook the hose from the inhale side and draw fresh air through the unit, thereby dropping the PO2 to .21 and pulling some of the moisture out. I usually seal it right up again, mostly because I don't want to forget to (especially with the radial), and don't want it getting splashed. When at home I pull the scrubber can out and stick it in a dry bag (like for kayaking), labelling it with the date and amount of time on it. I used to dump if I hadn't dived it in in a week, then two weeks, but lately I've been going longer and longer with no ill effects. It seems like most folks tolerance is somewhere between "a week" and "whenever I go diving next", I started out with the former and am edging towards the latter. More of a factor than time for me is what the conditions were that I was diving in. I dumped a sport kiss scrubber once after two weeks that only had an hour on it, and it looked like pure shite - big ole clumps. Scared myself with that one, I'm much more inclined to dump now if there are any suspicions.

I would be interested if anyone has taken a co2 hit from a semi-used scrubber? I've gotten two, both from when I first started diving ccr, both on fresh scrubbers - in one case I wasn't really moving the gas around enough in my prism, in the other I was working hard on a sport kiss and overbreathed it.

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Check this link out. I have been using this for a year now and love it. The head can dry and the scrubber is protected between dives http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=4719 :D

Rob

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by diverrob  View Original Post
    Check this link out. I have been using this for a year now and love it. The head can dry and the scrubber is protected between dives http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=4719 :D

Rob
    sure it looks very nice and tidy piece... nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by robinfante  View Original Post
    my postdive procedure is to unhook the hose from the inhale side and draw fresh air through the unit, thereby dropping the PO2 to .21 and pulling some of the moisture out. I usually seal it right up again, mostly because I don't want to forget to (especially with the radial), and don't want it getting splashed. When at home I pull the scrubber can out and stick it in a dry bag (like for kayaking), labelling it with the date and amount of time on it. I used to dump if I hadn't dived it in in a week, then two weeks, but lately I've been going longer and longer with no ill effects. It seems like most folks tolerance is somewhere between "a week" and "whenever I go diving next", I started out with the former and am edging towards the latter. More of a factor than time for me is what the conditions were that I was diving in. I dumped a sport kiss scrubber once after two weeks that only had an hour on it, and it looked like pure shite - big ole clumps. Scared myself with that one, I'm much more inclined to dump now if there are any suspicions.

I would be interested if anyone has taken a co2 hit from a semi-used scrubber? I've gotten two, both from when I first started diving ccr, both on fresh scrubbers - in one case I wasn't really moving the gas around enough in my prism, in the other I was working hard on a sport kiss and overbreathed it.

yeah, i am curious about the half used scrubbers too. what do you think of the scrubber that goes blueish when used. that way, you shall know how much you got left on the package right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast