+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How important is it to have a wing I can burp in the vertical position?

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

How important is it to have a wing I can burp in the vertical position?

Got my MEG today and was looking at my plates and wings... and relized that only my banded OMS wing has a purge valve on top and on the bottom of the wing...

Now with runnaway accent a real issue... How important is it to have a wing I can burp in the vertical position?

I have several smaller OMS wings with only a dump valve on the bottom.

Please advise

BAM

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: How important is it to have a wing I can burp in the vertical position?

If you prefer to use dump valve at the top of the wing instead of using the inflator to release gas, you could always change out the standard inflator with a pull-to-dump inflator.

This places the gas releasing source directly at the top of the wing.

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    If you prefer to use dump valve at the top of the wing instead of using the inflator to release gas, you could always change out the standard inflator with a pull-to-dump inflator.

This places the gas releasing source directly at the top of the wing.
    I thought those had a high failure rate......

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dartagnansmith  View Original Post
    Them failing is about as common as a run away ascent ;) Don't sweat the small stuff :)
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dartagnansmith  View Original Post
    You were asking for alternative solution, so I just gave one off the top of my head... ;)

Personally, I don't use any pull-dump inflator valve myself and have always removed/replaced them when necessary. In general, I try to remove potential failure points when I can (i.e. not critical to my own diving) even
    I have not personally encountered them while diving.

As Steve had mentioned, it doesn't fail as common as you would think. However, the mushroom valve near the elbow could be a potential failure point (i.e. lack of maintenance).

That said, I have no issue with dumping gas quickly via standard inflator - or pop the LP hose off the inflator very quickly.

If you need help in popping the LP hose off the inflator VERY quickly, DeepSeaSupply has an add-on part to help making that possible.

Decodiver

The key to making sure that the pull dumps do not fail is regular checking as part of a pre-dive setup, you can even put some threadlock on to make sure it does not unscrew itself.

Bit like all that OC nonsense of not having a dual bladder with both inflators connected IMHO......

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

I don't see it as being a big problem. When you are oriented more head down, you use the dump on the bottom of the wing. If you turn up a bit (like when dumping gas from the drysuit), you let some out of the inflator.

+ Reply to Thread