+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IrDA with Shearwater GF help

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

IrDA with Shearwater GF help

Evening All,

Not sure if anyone can help, I've mailed Shearwater and HHS but just wondered if anyone here has already sorted this out...

Have got everything set to download from my Shearwater GF, installed and registered software, installed and loaded software for IrDA.

Firing up the download facility I can get the Shearwater GF to appear on the "list of devices" and then move onto "deviced connected" situation but then nothing happens, GF times out after a few minutes, I assume it should move to transfer mode next?

Using Sony Vaio Laptop, IrDA as supplied by Bruce, Windows XP...

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
    BEN

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Re: IrDA with Shearwater GF help

Hi
    I have a similar setup. What I`ve found sometimes I can download on the first try - other times it might take 5 or 6 attempts! I have no idea why :o)
    I would keep trying for a bit..

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Thanks Jo,

Bruce replied promptly suggesting I pop the battery out, apparently the IrDA chip can hang and stay hung but once reset this fault doesn't seem to come back.

I'll give it a whirl and see, been itching for an excuse to take it apart anyway ;)

BEN

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

I find it a little tricky to align the IRDa and the IR thing on the Shearwater. I end up placing the IRDa pretty much directly over the IR led on the Shearwater, which is to the right of the screen as you look at it.

It can take a couple of goes to connect (most I've had is three). I close the software, turn off the Shearwater, then restart them both.

Janos

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

I have only uploaded once from my GF, with no problems. Since then my PC has been down due to operator induced trauma, but that is another story. I held the ir device by hand over the ir output on the GF.

I was able to visit Bruce personally to pick up my Shearwater and noted that on his test bench he had a flexable armature that held the ir device in place over the computer's ir port. Since he tests every one, this make sense. It might be worth rigging something up if you find yourself going to sleep during uploads. :)

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I'm having a problem downloading from the SGF too.

I am only using the demo of the software but I gather that it should still download.

I tried pulling the battery twice. Once for about 5 seconds and then a second time for about 12 seconds. On this second occasion the SGF showed the Tissue Cleared warning.

Since the laptop software wasn't showing any devices I pointed my video camera at the ports to see the infra-red. The laptop is flickering away but the SGF ir port shows nothing. It just says Waiting...

NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Scubascooby  View Original Post
    Since the laptop software wasn't showing any devices I pointed my video camera at the ports to see the infra-red. The laptop is flickering away but the SGF ir port shows nothing. It just says Waiting...
    Maybe the IR on the Laptop isn't putting out what the GF wants to see to go from waiting to connecting? I never tried the demo download so don't know if it worked.

I know my laptop and IR work though, anyone know if you can set a laptop up to download from two different Shearwaters, If so we could try that? (Scubascooby's member of my club FWIW)

Make sure you drop Shearwater Research and HHS a mail, I've found them very helpful.

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

It' 8:00 AM here, and I just got your email.

When you say your video camera is flickering away, what do you mean? Since InfraRed is by definition invisible, I don't understand what you mean by fllickering. If the dive log software doesn't show the camera in the device list, it's not seeing the camera either.

The nice thing about the Shearwater GF connection is not just an IR port. It is an industry standard IrDA port that Windows will recognize. You can point a phone or Palm Pilot or a camera that has an IrDA port at the IrDA port on your laptop, and the dive download software will show it in the devices list as soon as the device issues a connection request.

Since you say in your email that you don't have a USB port, and can't plug in the IrDA port that came with the Shearwater GF, it sounds like a very old laptop. Are you sure you have an IrDA port?

Bruce
    Last edited by bgpartri; 7th June 2007 at 16:44.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by bgpartri  View Original Post
    When you say your video camera is flickering away, what do you mean? Since InfraRed is by definition invisible, I don't understand what you mean by fllickering.
    Hi Bruce,

Pete means his camera can see the IR port on the laptop putting out IR but not the Shearwater, most camcorders can see further into the IR than us and some have a nightshot mode that sees a fair bit of IR, plenty to pick up IR comms ports.

I too would lay the blame on the old laptop, I assume the Shearwater waits to see another port before sending anything but maybe it puts out a finder signal (I know my mobile does, so you can line things up)

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Hi Bruce,

I assume the Shearwater waits to see another port before sending anything but maybe it puts out a finder signal (I know my mobile does, so you can line things up)
    Aha! The video camera can see the IR. That makes sense.

No, there is no finder signal from the Shearwater GF. IrDA defines two sides to the connection. The Primary (laptop) side sends out signals. The Secondary (portable device) waits for a connection request passively. This is important because it allows battery operated devices to just listen without using the power required to transmit. Since the computer is displaying "Waiting," that means it is not getting any connection request.

If you want to know way too much about what happens, here's a site with all the detail: http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/95/HPL-95-29.pdf
    Last edited by bgpartri; 7th June 2007 at 19:48.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast