+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blind Exits on a Rebreather

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Blind Exits on a Rebreather

Warning... muppet question...

Whilst pootling my way out of a cave this afternoon I was having a think. What's the standard procedure for exiting blind on a RB? If you can't see your handsets then do you hope that the RB is going to maintain the set-point and just go for it; or do you do the same but with some frequent flushes so you have a reasonable idea of what the ppO2 will be (maybe even going as far as exiting in SCR mode); or do you go to the other extreme and bail out to OC completely?

Having backlit displays I suppose makes the question moot but not everyone has them, and I'd been quite tempted to switch the backlights off on mine to increase battery life (which I'm thinking twice about now). I suppose not diving alone makes the question moot too, but this isn't the DIR forum :)

I think this is probably a personal preference thing (I know what I would do) so I'm not really looking for a definitive answer but more a cross section of what other people do.

I've had a complete light failure on one dive and it also saw it happen to my partner on a different dive, so it does occur every now and again, despite how remote three lights failing may seem.

Cheers,

Stuart

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    Stuart,
    My sugestion would be a HUD, any of the types that show you your PPO2 should do. Also if you were to add a deco computer that runs off a cell, as long as the loop stayed in the life supporting range your deco would be taken care of.

Simon A

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A
    Stuart,
    My sugestion would be a HUD, any of the types that show you your PPO2 should do. Also if you were to add a deco computer that runs off a cell, as long as the loop stayed in the life supporting range your deco would be taken care of.

Simon A
    The HUD/HDD, IMO, is certainly the way to go..
    In an extreme siltout I was backing out of a very tight/small restriction, trying to keep my gear/sidemounts as together as possible, I was comforted by the glow of the HDD on my Prism unit.

WRT deco comp., I have gone from the O2 intergrated on my HS Explorer whilst using my CCR dolphin to just "relying" on the fact that the Prism O2 controller can maintain setpoint accurately, and hence, just allow the computer to calculate based on predetermined setpoint.

WRT to HDD, I had to tilt the HDD from the traditional upright positioning to a more horizontal plane so that the brightness of the HDD did not interfere with my sight, that is, I look over them rather than at them. As you can appreciate, the low level of light in caves usually means that your pupils are quite dilated and bright LEDs can be a PITA when they're right in your face.

Cheers, JDZ

Smelling Dairy Air Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear's Avatar
    Hi John,

which tight silty holes have you been playing in?

Cheers

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Hi John,

which tight silty holes have you been playing in?

Cheers
    Now Bear,
    This is a public forum...
    I'll see you wednesday night!
    Cheers, JDZ

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    A few times its been impossible to read the handsets (Pre Hud Days) what I would do is listen for the ppppsssst of the O2 solenoid injecting. As long as the unit was functioning correctly before I went blind I would not worry too much for short periods of running blind at constant depth - provided I could occassionaly hear the solenoid fire - that would confirm the unit was still switched on and working. The frequency of the firing would also help to know all is well/or not.

The other thing you could do prior to going blind is get the setpoint right and then do the blind run as manual min loop (if at constant depth). I favor this way especially if your deep

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    A few times its been impossible to read the handsets (Pre Hud Days) what I would do is listen for the ppppsssst of the O2 solenoid injecting.
    ... but that is not going to help Stuart since he is diving a CK.

I could recommend you to get a KISS-HH (solenoid + HUD) from Kevin though...

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    ... but that is not going to help Stuart since he is diving a CK.
    Oppps! :D

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar
    Good question mate. Zero vis is a bit of a subjective term. In my experience it depends on the cave or the wreck. I had a siltout a few years ago that was so bad that I could only just tell that my 10W HID was on when I held it up to my eye. No backlit displays or HUD on the planet would have cut the mustard in this silty (well thin mud really) hole. This dive scared the crap out of me and very nearly killed me. Thanks again to Kiwi for dragging my sorry ass out of there (and leaving me in there in the first place )

The solution I have settled on is when diving in a place where a siltout this bad is a possibility is to take along a small clear bag of water. The bags from life rafts are nice and tough and are a convenient size. If the viz is really bad you can put the bag between your mask and the display/gauge and effectively you suddenly have great viz again. Holding your light partially on the side will supply enough light to see your display if it isnít backlit.

I hope this helps.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Good question mate. Zero vis is a bit of a subjective term. In my experience it depends on the cave or the wreck. I had a siltout a few years ago that was so bad that I could only just tell that my 10W HID was on when I held it up to my eye. No backlit displays or HUD on the planet would have cut the mustard in this silty (well thin mud really) hole. This dive scared the crap out of me and very nearly killed me. Thanks again to Kiwi for dragging my sorry ass out of there (and leaving me in there in the first place )

The solution I have settled on is when diving in a place where a siltout this bad is a possibility is to take along a small clear bag of water. The bags from life rafts are nice and tough and are a convenient size. If the viz is really bad you can put the bag between your mask and the display/gauge and effectively you suddenly have great viz again. Holding your light partially on the side will supply enough light to see your display if it isnít backlit.

I hope this helps.
    ive heard of people doing the same thing with perspex tubes/rods - never tried it - but sounds more robust than carrying bags.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast