+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen compatible grease

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Oxygen compatible grease

Are any of the Christo lube alternatives any better as actual lubricants?

Christo lube is actually really lousy as a lubricant. It seems to like it might be responsible for the fast aging of my O2 add button O rings, they dry out faster than any other o-rings in my system by a factor of 4. Luckily that's the only palce I really have to use it...

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post

Christo lube is actually really lousy as a lubricant. It seems to like it might be responsible for the fast aging of my O2 add button O rings, they dry out faster than any other o-rings in my system by a factor of 4. Luckily that's the only palce I really have to use it...
    Christo-lube has an icredibly high lubricity rating.. Its an extremely GOOD lubricant.. Manufactirers like scubapro changed exclusively to this ubricant and there performance numbers went up without changing anything else..

If you are using mcg-111 in an area that will come in frequent contact with water, you are better off using mcg-129.. its meant for static seal, but a manual add button is probably fine.. mcg-129 is a much thicker formulation than 111..

In an enviroment where 111 doesnt not come in contact with water it practically lasts forever and is extremely inert.

Another thing to look at is how polished the surfaces the o-rings come in contact are.. a perfect example is the old SS KISS valves.. they ate o-rings.. 6 months was pretty much the max, then ew plastic body easily goes a year..
    Last edited by jradomski; 5th April 2007 at 11:35.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    Christo-lube has an icredibly high lubricity rating.. Its an extremely GOOD lubricant.. Manufactirers like scubapro changed exclusively to this ubricant and there performance numbers went up without changing anything else..

If you are using mcg-111 in an area that will come in frequent contact with water, you are better off using mcg-129.. its meant for static seal, but a manual add button is probably fine.. mcg-129 is a much thicker formulation than 111..

In an enviroment where 111 doesnt not come in contact with water it practically lasts forever and is extremely inert.

Another thing to look at is how polished the surfaces the o-rings come in contact are.. a perfect example is the old SS KISS valves.. they ate o-rings.. 6 months was pretty much the max, then ew plastic body easily goes a year..

Hi Joe, Cristolube always feels dry, almost gritty to me. Maybe it's the water exposure, the Prism O2 add button is at the bottom of the ex CL and there's always some water at the bottom. The button is a plastic assembly with 2 small o-rings on the stem where it moves in and out of the housing. I'll look into the mcg 129 stuff. Thanks for the info...

RBW Member Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro's Avatar
    None

Megalodon

When I worked for the airlines we stocked small 2 oz syringes of Castrol Braycote 806. I was never able to find out for sure but I believe it was an O2 compatable lube.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. TRIBOLUBE71 is an unknown quantity at this point TRIBOLUBE71's Avatar

This is not an attempt at a spam or my attempt to hyjack this thread. I just want to offer an alternative to the Christo-lube mcg111/129 grease, Braycote, and Fomblin that has been mentioned in this thread. We are mfg. an alternative to all these products. My attempt is to primarily sample our 100% O2 compatible grease to you and only ask for your feedback on RBW, after you evaluate Tribolube. I believe those that read these threads with interestwill benifit from this information. Please send me an e-mail with your phone number (necessary for overseas shipment), shop name for refrence, and your email address so you can recieve the technicals of the product for you review. This email will include the military qualification MIL-PRF-27617 the standard for O2 compatibility in high concentrations of oxygen. I thank you in advance for the opportunity to serve the rebreather community as a competitor to the greases mentioned.

Hi Joe, Cristolube always feels dry, almost gritty to me. Maybe it's the water exposure, the Prism O2 add button is at the bottom of the ex CL and there's always some water at the bottom. The button is a plastic assembly with 2 small o-rings on the stem where it moves in and out of the housing. I'll look into the mcg 129 stuff. Thanks for the info...
    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post

RBW Member carcharodon1957 is an unknown quantity at this point carcharodon1957's Avatar
    oxygers-ida 71-submatix

rEvo3 hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by jmhardingjr  View Original Post
    Anyone used Fomblin or Halocarbon?
    Hi Fomblin is used in some of french navy and army for SCR and CCR!
    !

RBW Member s. McWilliam is on a distinguished road s. McWilliam is on a distinguished road s. McWilliam's Avatar

Molykote 111

Molykote 111

Molykote 111 is a silicon based lubricant used to lubricate O rings etc., on rebreathers. Drager recommends it, in fact they state that it is a special lubricant manufactured for Drager and tested by NASA. It is often sold on the German eBay site for about twenty seven euros for a 100 gram tube. So, I thought I would see if I could find some. It is manufactured by Dow Corning in Michigan but is unavailable in North America unless you purchase a 250 kilo drum. In North America the exact same compound manufactured by Dow Corning is sold under the name 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant, a 150 gram tube cost 7.2 Euros. If you go to the Dow Corning web site and punch in 111 you can find out all about this product including any hazards, well almost. If you live in Canada and order a couple of tubes it comes with an additional label with information not on the web site, which reads:
    CONTAINS Boric acid, WHICH MAY CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS BASED ON ANIMAL DATA.
    CONTAINS Octamethylcycloterasiloxane WHICH MAY CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS BASED ON ANIMAL DATA.

Interesting how things change from country to country . . .
    Scott McWilliam
    Last edited by s. McWilliam; 12th December 2008 at 23:07. Reason: formating

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

Like the guy who tried the razor and liked it so much he bought the company...,
    :)
    I tried the Tribolube 71 and like it so much I became a distributor for it. The lubrication qualities are quite a bit better, and it does not 'grit' up or ball up like christolube does. I have samples for $5.00, or a 2oz tube for $34 shipped to USA addresses. Tribolube Oxygen Compatible grease

Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. TRIBOLUBE71 is an unknown quantity at this point TRIBOLUBE71's Avatar

We at Aerospace Lubricants, Inc are pleased to announce That Ron Micjan is a Distributor for or entire product line.

Regards,
    David Lodwick

Quote Originally Posted by RonMicjan  View Original Post
    Like the guy who tried the razor and liked it so much he bought the company...,
    :)
    I tried the Tribolube 71 and like it so much I became a distributor for it. The lubrication qualities are quite a bit better, and it does not 'grit' up or ball up like christolube does. I have samples for $5.00, or a 2oz tube for $34 shipped to USA addresses. Tribolube Oxygen Compatible grease

I still prefer tribolube .. doesn't go crusty like christolube..

Tribolube 71 5gm Sachet | eBay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast