+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Sidemount rebreather should ich chose?

New Member Andre is an unknown quantity at this point Andre's Avatar

What Sidemount rebreather should ich chose?

I am diving a Classic KISS and thinking of buying a Sidemount rebreather as I am tired of carrying all the stages with me all the time. Any suggestions?

André

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

Re: What Sidemount rebreather should ich chose?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre  View Original Post
    I am diving a Classic KISS and thinking of buying a Sidemount rebreather as I am tired of carrying all the stages with me all the time. Any suggestions?

André
    what's on your list? There aren't any true siemount units commercially available, the closest is probably the joki, but whatever you choose will require a lot of customisation to both the sidemount unit and your Kiss.

which andre are you? if Andre Gloor, well done in the Batterich, when are you going back?

regards,
    John

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Andre,
    TBH If you've got access to a machine shop i wouldn't bother buying a side mount unit. I'd just build a D5. Duncan was very helpful when I was building mine. Also they are dead simple. AFAIK duncan priced out the BOM at £60 +DSV and hoses and O2 monitoring system. (if you need them I've got some acrylic scrubber disk blanks you can have for the cost of the postage) (in fact I've got an entire slightly modified scrubber you can have for the cost of the postage)
    Regards
    Simon A

New Member Andre is an unknown quantity at this point Andre's Avatar

Hi John
    Thanks for the Bätterich. We went back one time to have a closer look but it is not possible to leave the airbell. Also the cave is very unstable in that part. We will try to find another airbell where we can leave the first sump.
    Do you use a Joki?
    André

Banned AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM's Avatar

Hi Andre, if you are interested in Joki then the best person to contact is Fred Badier. But there are known issues with them. Perhaps it would be better, as others have suggested, to build your own. I would certainly now prefer my own to the Joki or any other "market" sidemount.

If you have the time to devote to it end to end, it shouldn't take a massive commitment.

Regards

AnneMarie

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    Andre,
    TBH If you've got access to a machine shop i wouldn't bother buying a side mount unit. I'd just build a D5. Duncan was very helpful when I was building mine. Also they are dead simple. AFAIK duncan priced out the BOM at £60 +DSV and hoses and O2 monitoring system. (if you need them I've got some acrylic scrubber disk blanks you can have for the cost of the postage) (in fact I've got an entire slightly modified scrubber you can have for the cost of the postage)
    Regards
    Simon A
    hi,

i 've seen your post and i am interested about the D5 rebreather you are talking about. is there any chance you could provide me with some more information? any fotos, or link i can follow? i am interested in building my own sidemount unit as well.

Thanks in advance.

spyros

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

sump4.com/rebreather is duncans website.

Im not sure if its dodgy or dis-assembling though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    If you've got access to a machine shop i wouldn't bother buying a side mount unit. I'd just build a D5. Duncan was very helpful when I was building mine. Also they are dead simple. AFAIK duncan priced out the BOM at £60 +DSV and hoses and O2 monitoring system. (if you need them I've got some acrylic scrubber disk blanks you can have for the cost of the postage) (in fact I've got an entire slightly modified scrubber you can have for the cost of the postage)
    I'll have the bits for my production run.

Attached are photos from Saturday's dive at Vobster. I'm very pleased with the unit as a backmount now. I'll get some pictures of the same unit being dived as a sidemount. There are some changes to the original D5 design but the scrubber is the same - I'll put a teardown on my website when I next strip the unit. Since I've only used 20% of the scrubber duration then this may not be for a while...

The Joki is good, possibly smaller than the D5.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread