+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: frog RB?

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

frog RB?

Anyone own one? Or have dived one? Any comments on it?

Babar

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Lambert's Frog

Babar, I neither own nor dive a Frog, but I had a chance to get a close look at the unit during the last DEMA show. Janwillem posted several of my pictures as well as a brief report.

The Frog looks pretty well made, and I like some of the detail solutions:
    - the basic layout with twin tanks on the side and a cylinder shaped RB body
    - latches to attach head
    - the base that raises the unit to acomfortable height
    - needle valve rather than fixed orifice
    - standard ADV
    - clean hose routing
    - scrubber cannister insulated in CL
    - small footprint due to single CL design
    - two O2 cell connectors standard

Dislikes:
    - pre-packed single use scrubber cartridges (expensive and very wasteful)
    - breathing hoses just bolted on, no QC.
    - training only through MDEA (?) rather than known (and internationally accepted) agency
    (nothing more worrysome than even IANTD not picking up a unit that's been 'in production' for years ... in the US, too)

Unknowns are:
    - scrubber in general
    - how well the swiveling connectors hold up to the rigors of use

Worrysome:
    - encouraging the use of the Frog as a manually controlled CCR:
    -- close OPV all the way down
    -- plug diluent into ADV
    -- plug O2 into needle valve, set to highest needed O2 flow and manually add by opening/closing O2 tank valve

When I visited the booth, the use as a nitrox driven SCR was only mentioned after I repreatedly asked about it. The unit was praised as a manually controlled CCR. Personally I don't quite see it ...
    - only single gas addition points (all eCCRs I can think of have, or are available with, ADV and manual add valve, the KISSes allow diluent to be added through the OC/DSV in an emergency)
    - inconvinient and not particular precise O2 addition, used on other rigs when primary (metered flow or solenoid) and secondary (manual addition) fail
    - I still believe that two O2 cells in a CCR are one short of enough ...

Without any user/owner feedback or own experience it's kinda hard to say, but the Frog could be a viable alternative to Dräger and OMG SCRs.
    As a CCR it would need a bit of work and some Jetsam parts, I would just buy all the parts from Jetsam.
    In form of a Sport Kiss. ;)

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Worrysome:

-- close OPV all the way down
    TheOPV is on the DSV and it works quirewell in the fully closed position (I have used their DSV)

Also the KISS is recommended to dive with the OPV fully closed as well.. (more important on the KISS due to its location)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

The worrysome referred to the practice of using the Frog as a mCCR.
    I mentioned closing the OPV as part of the description how to do that.
    The unit I photographed, by the way, had the OPV on the head
    (visible between/behind the hose connectors)
    The DSV on the Frog was a normal one.

The one fitted to the
    Tiger CCR prototype did multiple duty as OC-integrated DSV, OPV and ADV.
    Attached Images

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    (nothing more worrysome than even IANTD not picking up a unit that's been 'in production' for years ... in the US, too)
    [/QUOTE]

???????????????????????????????????????

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

IANTD ran ads for a while that they were offering training on all rebreathers.
    Obviously that must be taken with a grain of salt, but nevertheless the Frog
    has been build for quite a while yet the rebreather agency doesn't
    offer training for it ... instead some largely unknown outfit in Florida does.
    Attached Images

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Oui, je comprend pas ici, Monsieur Chef, merci!!!

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Je ne parlé pas français ... je me ne souviens pas.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    The worrysome referred to the practice of using the Frog as a mCCR.
    I mentioned closing the OPV as part of the description how to do that.
    The unit I photographed, by the way, had the OPV on the head
    (visible between/behind the hose connectors)
    The DSV on the Frog was a normal one.

The one fitted to the
    Tiger CCR prototype did multiple duty as OC-integrated DSV, OPV and ADV.
    Thats surprising since they really push the benefits of the dsv and I beleieve they even filed a patent for it..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I didn't realize they were pushing anything ... never saw anyone diving a Frog, never met anyone who dives one, never saw one outside the DEMA show floor.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast