+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are all caustic cocktails the same?

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

Re: Are all caustic cocktails the same?

Quote Originally Posted by bendomatic  View Original Post
    fair enough. i'm struggling with this concept of having a preference (which sorb would be better? or dilute vs conc), because to me a caustic cocktail is just that - a caustic cocktail - its going to hurt and i don't think your airway linings are going to give a rats fat about whether it's dilute or not or which sorb you used.

rachel
    Im always using Medisorb because its easy for me to buy it a very good price and always notice that the caustic cocktail Ive got with some of my DIY wasnt a problem, always been able to continue the dive without surfacing and never been burnt.
    A good test is to put some sorb in a glass, add carefuly some water then VERY carefuly smell touch and why not taste ( Medisorb will not burn you, others I dont know ).
    Some sorb exhale caustic gas when wet and seen friend burnt an having surface in emergency even unable to bail out and to breathe underwater.
    Fortunatly it was a test dive in shallow water...

What Im sure is that Ill do this test if I have to use a sorb that I dont know

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

from what I understand. The caustic cocktail from sodalime, is nothing compared to how caustic lithium hydroxide is.

Banned marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm's Avatar

Hi everyone,

I've heard that Extend Air cartridges are supposed to dissolve more slowly, making them more resistant to forming nasty cocktails when flooded. Chucky05 reported his experience of this on the Optima FX thread (http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=10765) when he had a flood on his Optima. The resulting cocktail was aparently not as bad as a powdered sorb one.

Cheers.
    -Marek

New Member solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver's Avatar

I flooded the G1 homebuild and got a caustic cocktail about 3 or 4 times. But, the stuff was pretty dilute so though I gagged, I didn't get burns on my mouth. And of course, I didn't swallow any - rather spat out the mouthpiece and inserted the open circuit backup.

So my experiences were low key but this should not be relied on, it all depends on the concentration.

If using lithium hydroxide instead of sodalime, that is a much more powerful alkali so I would expect any cocktail to be seriously harmful or lethal - for example, you might expect your burned mouth to swell as with a wasp sting until you were unable to breathe. (I assume that the Cis's membrane that keeps water out of the scrubber also plays a role in keeping the lithium very securely in, or using the stuff in it would be deadly dangerous). I haven't tried it. Don't intend to, mate!

cheers,

Charles.

Loving life 2 the fullest pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver is a jewel in the rough pattimegdiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc T  View Original Post
    Im always using Medisorb because its easy for me to buy it a very good price and always notice that the caustic cocktail Ive got with some of my DIY wasnt a problem, always been able to continue the dive without surfacing and never been burnt.
    A good test is to put some sorb in a glass, add carefuly some water then VERY carefuly smell touch and why not taste ( Medisorb will not burn you, others I dont know ).
    Some sorb exhale caustic gas when wet and seen friend burnt an having surface in emergency even unable to bail out and to breathe underwater.
    Fortunatly it was a test dive in shallow water...

What Im sure is that Ill do this test if I have to use a sorb that I dont know
    In Jan in Playa del Carmen I tried the medical sorb. One of my dive buddies Dave Tomlin said "just be carefull and watch the scrubber closely." So after a 45 min wreck dive and then a 1hr drift dive as soon I as got in the boat I check the scubber. Holy crap the scrubber was spent right to the top as purple as it could be, and a long with that I had a headache untill the following day. So I personally will probably never use it again, or throw it out after an hour. :)

RBW Member diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marekm  View Original Post
    From doing some scrubber flood tests, I have found that how strong a caustic cocktail is depends on how long the water has been sitting in the scrubber. For example, after flushing water straight through a srubber of coarse Sofnolime and tasting it, it was not that bad. However, with every minute that the water stayed in the scrubber, the concentration of hydroxide ions increased and the pH increased until it reached saturation after several minutes. This saturated cocktail was much worse to taste and touch. So basically if you have a slow leak into the scrubber over the course of the dive that eventually floods the loop, the resulting cocktail will be much worse, than say the scrubber lid coming off underwater and inhaling a dilute cocktail almost immediately.

-Marek
    Yes & no-you forgot exactly where the caustic hits, which is etremely important. tracheal caustics usually open in enough time to save the diver's life. Mouth/tongue is a burn & a taste. laryngeal, which I had, will kill you.

By the way, due to prototype CLs, missing primary o-rings plus diver error, I took a mild caustic as well. Nothing like the other one- & I was vertical 170 FSW prior to the hit. A swig & spit of coke, a turned dive, & I was fine.
    Last edited by diveladydive; 20th May 2007 at 04:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2