+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are all caustic cocktails the same?

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Are all caustic cocktails the same?

I have been having a look at some MSDS for different brands of sorb and there seems to be a vast difference in the seriousness of ingestion. For example:

http://www.sodasorb.com/English/down...orb_Manual.pdf

Ingestion - Harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of soda lime can cause burns of the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach. Do not induce vomiting. Administer large quantities of water or milk. Get medical attention after first aid if irritation continues.

Compared to:

Ingestion: Corrosive. Swallowing may cause severe burns of mouth, throat and stomach. Severe scarring of tissue and death may result. Symptoms may include bleeding, vomiting, and diarrhea, fall in blood pressure. Damage may appear days after exposure.

Almost hard to believe that we are talking about two products which supposedly does the same thing. It's easy for me to tell which one I'd be wanting in my scrubber just in case it gets wet.

Any thoughts, pointers or experiences out there to shed some more light on the matter?

rgds
    monty

RBD one dive at a time... pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611's Avatar

Re: Are all caustic cocktails the same?

a Caustic Cocktails is like having a battery in your mouth....

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

HI MontyG

You're not quite comparing apples with apples here. the first statement comes from the manual and the second comes from a MSDS. the MSDS will have much more stringent requirements on what statements have to be made. the manual i see doesn't actually have the MSDS info for that product.

rachel

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pete611  View Original Post
    I made the mistake of licking my finger to wipe an o-ring clean last week while I was filling my RB. I had long enough to think "you dopey c**t" before I started gagging. There couldn't have been barely a trace of lime dust on my finger either. It gave me a new found respect for cocktails. A battery would have been preferable!

A couple of years ago, I also managed to stick my feet to the floor of the bog after another kindly KISS diver had dumped his flooded cannister down it. Quite entertaining what it does to the fat in your skin, especially after he stuck his fingers together afterwards :D

Cheers,

Stuart

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by pete611  View Original Post
    Pete,

I can tell you from literally bitter experience, that a caustic cocktail is not like having a battery in your mouth.

If you like burning, vomitting, choking, gagging and pain, go have one.

I have had 2 in 18 years of CCR.

I remember both, vividly and I NEVER want to repeat the experience.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Banned marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm's Avatar

From doing some scrubber flood tests, I have found that how strong a caustic cocktail is depends on how long the water has been sitting in the scrubber. For example, after flushing water straight through a srubber of coarse Sofnolime and tasting it, it was not that bad. However, with every minute that the water stayed in the scrubber, the concentration of hydroxide ions increased and the pH increased until it reached saturation after several minutes. This saturated cocktail was much worse to taste and touch. So basically if you have a slow leak into the scrubber over the course of the dive that eventually floods the loop, the resulting cocktail will be much worse, than say the scrubber lid coming off underwater and inhaling a dilute cocktail almost immediately.

-Marek

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by marekm  View Original Post
    From doing some scrubber flood tests, I have found that how strong a caustic cocktail is depends on how long the water has been sitting in the scrubber. For example, after flushing water straight through a srubber of coarse Sofnolime and tasting it, it was not that bad. However, with every minute that the water stayed in the scrubber, the concentration of hydroxide ions increased and the pH increased until it reached saturation after several minutes. This saturated cocktail was much worse to taste and touch. So basically if you have a slow leak into the scrubber over the course of the dive that eventually floods the loop, the resulting cocktail will be much worse, than say the scrubber lid coming off underwater and inhaling a dilute cocktail almost immediately.

-Marek
    uh marek, you might want to rethink that based on some real dive experiences, rather than a taste test. out of the three people i know who have had caustic cocktails, two had catastrophic failures resulting in serious damage to their airways, the other one with the slow leak and eventual cocktail had only minor inconsequential damage only because he knew it was going to happen and didn't end up with a gobful.
    rachel

Banned marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm's Avatar

Hi Rachel,

The way I see it, the extent of damage resulting from a caustic cocktail is a factor of both the concentration of castic cocktail and the volume inhaled/injested. If I have to take a gob full of cocktail, I'd rather it be dilute as opposed to sitting in the scrubber for a long time.

Cheers.
    -Marek

PS: I had a detailed discusion with Brett on this subject.
    Last edited by marekm; 22nd March 2007 at 06:03. Reason: fixed typos

Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

fair enough. i'm struggling with this concept of having a preference (which sorb would be better? or dilute vs conc), because to me a caustic cocktail is just that - a caustic cocktail - its going to hurt and i don't think your airway linings are going to give a rats fat about whether it's dilute or not or which sorb you used.

rachel

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Ron Micjan swallows, too. :p

His article on caustic cocktail is either in our library or on his website.
    As Dave said, not something you really want to do. :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast