+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Butt heavy" Rebreather Trim- stupid suggestion?

Team Train Wreck zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii's Avatar
    Revo micro ft

Kiss Sport

Re: "Butt heavy" Rebreather Trim- stupid suggestion?

I never really had a problem with this since I need about 30lbs anyways, I just use a ~15lb backplate with my Sport Kiss. But it did get me to thinking, why not make the valves out of titanium? They make first stages out of it, surely it must be possible. They'd be expensive, but what isn't with diving? :)

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by zbskii  View Original Post
    But it did get me to thinking, why not make the valves out of titanium? They make first stages out of it, surely it must be possible. They'd be expensive, but what isn't with diving? :)
    IIRC Titanium isn't compatible with high O2 content.

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

I think it was scubapro that had some titanium regs that caught fire in HP O2, brass is the best for O2.

Valves up suck for me, I cant reach them for shutdowns in a drysuit, couldnt reach Twins valves either w/o cutting the crotch strap loose and pushing em up, made for slow shutdown drills.

I have the same problem, lots of muscle in my legs causes my fins to drag, I went to slipstream fins also, and also have to huck the unit as high on my back as possible to trim out, I have also opened up the top of my wing and wrapped some zip ties around the top of the doughnut to force the wing air to the bottom.

The meg with no backplate, no weight at all, with Al cylinders and me in a full length 3 mil wetsuit is still about 4 lbs negative. Course I sink in the pool too with 3/4 full lungs.

So Ben, I was talking to Kim at oztek and she is thinking about adding a foam block to the bottom of her rig for the same reasons. may be a trend starting here, ankle floats.
    Last edited by RonMicjan; 22nd March 2007 at 10:52.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonMicjan  View Original Post
    I think it was scubapro that had some titanium regs that caught fire in HP O2...
    It was Atomic titanium first stage.

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

Scubapro, atomic, potato, potatoe

I knew it was some sort of titanium reg...

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Scubapro, atomic, potato, potatoe...
    Know something 1/2-ass is actually worse than not knowing anything at all... :p

~~~~~ #417 ~~~~~ PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer's Avatar

In a dry suit with Meg, Faber 20s, Thermo Pro valves, DUI Thinsulate 200, Jet Fins, and Rock Boots, I found that I was tail light! Positioning of Meg plenum and Faber cylinders were about "standard" from what I could tell from other pics I've seen. To resolve this quickly without a lot of messin' around, I added a 4lb weight to the center of the DiveRite sidemount buttpad. This placed my trim at absolute perfect, relaxed horizontal nature.

When I tried diving wet (3mm), I was tail heavy. I couldn't keep my feet up to save my life. I moved the wing and plate around the standard holes but it didn't make a noticeable difference. In disgust, I drug out the dry suit, resolved it and went diving.

When I have more time, I am going to try pushing the Meg plenum and cylinders further up for wet suit and down for dry suit in a attempt at resolving the issue without more weight. I'm hopeful that'll make the difference since I'm not that far off (about four pounds + and -). I'm already heavy enough. I also have a emergency cannister that has not been incorporated into the RB yet since I haven't done any far off boat dives yet. It will be another variable to contend with.

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

So Ben, I was talking to Kim at oztek and she is thinking about adding a foam block to the bottom of her rig for the same reasons. may be a trend starting here, ankle floats.
    You may have something here Ron...actually, yes...I have seen some small blue foam things that fit between the toes...I think at a dayspa...

Well, ok...how about one of the foam noodles for use by kids in a pool? Cut in half...one piece down each drysuit leg? I know a few divers that would benefit greatly and probably kick less S*** up if they weren't able to bend their knees. Seems to me that is the only reason anyone would Dive Twin Lakes, actually.
    Last edited by jdicediver; 25th March 2007 at 07:20.

Meg

CCR Dolphin

if I stuffed a peice of that down my wetsuit I might get more dates as well as fix my butt heavy problem, I think you are on to something John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3