+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VR3 Flooded battery compartment

New Member GregPart is an unknown quantity at this point GregPart's Avatar

VR3 Flooded battery compartment

I have just been on a 35m dive and wondered why my vr3 stopped working , so when I got home I opened it up to change the battery and found liquid (prob water due to changing the battery before the dive) I have rinsed it out with fresh water and it is now drying on the radiator. Has this happened to anyone else and what advice would you fellow rebreather divers give?

Safe diving Greg
    Last edited by GregPart; 17th March 2007 at 20:46.

Custom Title Allowed! Morg_NZ is an unknown quantity at this point Morg_NZ's Avatar

Re: VR3 Flooded battery compartment

Quote Originally Posted by GregPart  View Original Post
    I have just been on a 35m dive and wondered why my vr3 stopped working , so when I got home I opened it up to change the battery and found liquid (prob water due to changing the battery before the dive) I have rinsed it out with fresh water and it is now drying on the radiator. Has this happened to anyone else and what advice would you fellow rebreather divers give?

Safe diving Greg
    DRYING ON A RADIATOR Perhaps not the best place to put it to dry?

New Member VTR is an unknown quantity at this point VTR's Avatar

Safe diving Greg
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it's time to check your insurance policy. I've seen one flooded before, & it didn't work again after a rinse & dryout. Sorry.

Custom Title Allowed! Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law's Avatar

Safe diving Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear about your Vr3 flooding but drying it on a radiator will probably be a waste of time I would pack it up and ship it to Delta P by express delivery.

Delta P may be able to sort something out with it as their service is very good and they are probably your best bet for a happy ending if you throw yourself at their mercy.

You can reference it to Divertec if you need an account to send it under and I will see if I can do anything on the cost of repairs if any.

Regards

New Member GregPart is an unknown quantity at this point GregPart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morg_NZ  View Original Post
    DRYING ON A RADIATOR Perhaps not the best place to put it to dry?
    It is sat on a towel so it has not got direct heat damaging the circuit board and components, if you have any better ideas please tell me

Barry many thanks will pm you
    Greg
    Last edited by GregPart; 17th March 2007 at 21:50.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie Law  View Original Post
    Delta P may be able to sort something out with it as their service is very good and they are probably your best bet for a happy ending if you throw yourself at their mercy.
    ¨

It happened to me once, just because I did screw the cap bad.
    Rinsed, dryed alone, change battery and still working after 4 years.
    Try it before to spend money to ship it back.

Nad
    OC Trainer
    CCR Instructor
    English/Italian/French classes
    Everywhere needed

Custom Title Allowed! Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    ¨

It happened to me once, just because I did screw the cap bad.
    Rinsed, dryed alone, change battery and still working after 4 years.
    Try it before to spend money to ship it back.

Nad
    Hi Nad,

Gregg is in Plymouth the cost to ship it to Delta P is a couple of quid so well worth the effort to send it back as they may be able to salvage it if there is water inside.

Regards

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Yes,I just noticed it later.

Cheers

Nad
    OC Trainer
    CCR Instructor
    English/Italian/French classes
    Everywhere needed

RBD one dive at a time... pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611 will become famous soon enough pete611's Avatar

Ebay for you my friend

Gadget guru extrordinaire tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen's Avatar

Safe diving Greg
    Was it a fresh or salt water dive? If it was fresh, you may be okay, but I'd still send it back to Delta P. I've actually been told by experts, that electronics can function under distilled water, because water is not a conductor, it's the particles in the water that conduct, and that's where the damage is done, because those particles create paths between circuits that aren't supposed to exist. In fact, I know some electronic technicians that do circuit board repair, and they put the circuit boards in distilled water to do a sonic cleaning of them.

If it was salt of course, you are more likely to have corrosion.

A buddy of mine lost his Suunto Cobra a few years ago, after he had just had it in to be serviced and had the battery replaced. A single hair got caught between the o-ring and the outside, and flooded it. I've had a brand new Ikelite camera housing flood, and destroy my digital camera. It all sucks when water goes where it isn't supposed to.

In any case, bad news, and I'm sorry it happened. Let us know how it turns out.

+ Reply to Thread