+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiegel Grove

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Spiegel Grove

Folks-

Newsflash- Seen on CNN this morning: One little publicized development in the aftermath of hurricane Dennis:

The Spiegel Grove has been rolled UPRIGHT!!!

For those who are not familiar- it is the largest intentionally sunk (yes, Scapa Flow is a different case) = artificial reef/ ship in the world at 500+ ft. Itís off of Key Largo, Florida. It had some troubles initially, and sank upside down. Very extensive effort got it on to itís side, but no more than that. It has been dived by many in that position for 2 or 3 (?) years.

Ken

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    wow - will be like a whole new dive! and make penetration navigation easier I would hazard!

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    wow - will be like a whole new dive! and make penetration navigation easier I would hazard!
    This was the orginal plan. The upper decks are cut and mapped.

I have heard of a few ventures into the lower decks but good luck finding a way in
    Site is off limits, until the bouys are corrected. I am sure that they will checkout the wreck for lines. Should be very interesting.

THe Orkinsky(SP) is planned to have the conning tower cut and the lower decks are to be left alone. After walking the Lexington (similiar in design) holly cow its big.

Andrew

New Member scubageek is an unknown quantity at this point scubageek's Avatar

diving the speigel

I was in the keys over the weekend and there was no problem with diving the spiegel grove. It is a much more interesting dive now with all the holes cut in the ship.

SG

New Member mothball is an unknown quantity at this point mothball's Avatar
    Dove the SG two years ago on OC. WOW that is one big boat. Some of my buddies were talking about that a couple of weeks ago and dove it last weekend. I'll have to get the scoop from them and post, maybe even a pic. Hopefully the Oriskany will get the go-ahead to be sunk. I'm hoping Pensacola gets it, but I know the boys and girls from my home state wouldn't mind having it in the Corpus Christi waters. Interesting happenings, on interesting dives. Keep the loop flowing. Dave

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

I already have a group of local divers that are biting at the bit wherever they sink her.

Considering the cost to dive in Bikini is over $5 grand; dude just sink her and the divers will come in droves. Especially, the Brits with a 2 to1 ratio for the currency.

Plus, that way we donít have to have some of the problems with traveling half way around the world. Commercial flights abounty!

However, 25miles out is a bit of a boat ride.

Here's to clear waters...
    Andrew

New Member jondive is an unknown quantity at this point jondive's Avatar
    Having seen these posts I've just read the history of the 'Mighty O,' your right, this is one Brit who'd make the journey! That is some ship. Only £1 = $1.75 at the moment (shame) Wonder what sort of depth it'l be at, shallow I guess.
    Still flights are still quite cheap. Cheers Chaps

New Member P6017 is on a distinguished road P6017 is on a distinguished road P6017's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jondive
    Having seen these posts I've just read the history of the 'Mighty O,' your right, this is one Brit who'd make the journey! That is some ship. Only £1 = $1.75 at the moment (shame) Wonder what sort of depth it'l be at, shallow I guess.
    Still flights are still quite cheap. Cheers Chaps
    My understanding is that they need about 200+ feet to sink the Oriskany. I spent time on a '50s vintage Carrier. the Independence CV62, and if I'm nnot mistaken was almost 200 feet from keel to the top of the superstructure. I cant wait to dive her.
    Pete

+ Reply to Thread