+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whale Smack Down!

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Re: Whale Smack Down!

Hello,

I hate that. I remember the first time that happened to me, it was really a shocker... but hey, you do get used to it after a few times.

Seriously though... I'm glad you're on the mend. What an experience.

--p

What a story. Glad you escaped to tell us about it!

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Randy, holly crap. I always admire folks who can step back from such an experience and not immediately demonise the thing that caused their pain. It was a freak accident, i'm glad your still allive, i've always enjoyed your mellow and helpful candor on the forum. I do hope you share more of what you experienced, such intense experiences often have quite an impact on ones life in many ways.

hope you have a speedy recovery! I hear whale cartilage helps speed up bone recovery (just kidding).
    g

Gill Envy

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Thanks to all who have expressed well wishes. It has really cheered up my day! For those of you who have asked about diving with the whales either OC or CCR, I can only say that it is probably not practical. You spend most of your day following them and attempting multiple times to get in the water at a moments notice. On any given day, you probably slide into the water out of the zodiacs 10-15 times trying to find the right whales, at the right time, in the right places. I don't think it would be practical to do it safely on CCR. I was also very skeptical about "snorkeling" but had the absolute time of my life.

It has been very interesting to me to receive emails from lot's of "crazies" from different parts of the world accusing me of various misdeeds, including harassing whales, disrupting their natural states, making this whole story up, and etc. etc. The bottom line is, the whales wouldn't interact with us unless they wanted to. They are highly intelligent animals and they would not allow us to approach unless they wanted to. I am grateful for the experience to be in the presence of these magnificent animals and would do it again in a heart beat.

My biggest embarrassment with this whole thing is that both of my macho tech diver sons have been embarrassed that I was injured by a "girl whale while snorkeling" instead of on one of my deep trimix CCR dives! Oh well, can't please everyone.

I'm getting out of the hospital tomorrow and headed home to sleep in my own bed for the first time in 3 weeks. :) Yeah!

Thanks for all of your support!

Regards,
    Randy

Rb Aficionado SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post

My biggest embarrassment with this whole thing is that both of my macho tech diver sons have been embarrassed that I was injured by a "girl whale while snorkeling" instead of on one of my deep trimix CCR dives! Oh well, can't please everyone.

Regards,
    Randy
    Hi Randy,

Am just curious, are you trying to seduce the she-whale while getting too close to her. :p Otherwise she wont have given you a tight slap. :D
    At least she managed to propel you to stardom in a matter of second.

Just kidding of course. :)

Anyway wish you a speedy recovery and back to the water soon...

Cheers

Wei Lan
    Last edited by SINUS; 15th March 2007 at 05:21.

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Well I'm glad you are OK but dumb should hurt.

We all make mistakes so no biggie and at least you have a cool scar and story. Get well and stay away from wildlife for a bit.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Randy,
    Glad to hear you are finally to be able to go back home and sleep in your on bed!
    I hope you make a quick recovery after this ordeal.

Best,
    RBN

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Somehow I missed this.... Holy Cow! What a story.

All I can say is that it's about the only excuse I would accept for getting off the Doria trip you're supposed to make with us.
    I hope you still come so we can be regaled by the tale (tail).... !!

Maybe a nice copy of Moby Dick would be appropriate for your recuperation.

PS: Those whales that are down south in the winter? They are up here when you are scheduled to dive the Doria with us....

Dave
    Last edited by MB; 18th March 2007 at 22:20.

RBW Member bill9175 is an unknown quantity at this point bill9175's Avatar

WOW,

Wanted to wish you my best for a speedy recovery...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2