+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whale Smack Down!

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Whale Smack Down!

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, if not, someone please feel free to move this thread. I have not logged on to RBW for the last three weeks because I have been recovering in the hospital from a fairly serious accident in the Silver Banks (just north of the Dominican Repulbic)

I got into a bit of a tangle with a North Atlantic Humpback Whale! 40 tons worth! I was with 17 other divers on the Turks and Ciacos Agressor enjoying the trip of a life time interacting with these Magnificent animals when on the last dive of the last day of the trip I inadvertenly spooked a calf which sent her mother off giving me the "smack down" of a lifetime. The mother flipped me with her tail breaking my femur bone and almost killing me. I have been in the hospital for two weeks and hope to finally go home this weekend. It will be 3 - 6 months before I can walk without crutches, and has been an amazing trial! Please see the attached link to an ABC report. I have been interviewed on Good Morning America twice, Inside Edition, Fox Morning Show, CTV (Canada) as well as numerous local TV broadcasts. The reporter have almost been more trouble than the accident itself.

You can read about the grueling surgery in the DR on-line as well. Let's just say that you don't ever want to have to go the hospital in one of these 3rd world countries. 3 1/2 of femur surgery completey awake, with hack saws, hammers, windows without glass, and post operative care that was a nightmare, is not my idea of a vacation.

I have been quite upset by most of the press coverage due to biased spin that they have put on everything, implying that we were bothering the whales. Theses animals are the most magnificent creatures I have ever witnessed, and invited us into their actions on virtually every dive. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

As soon as I am out of the hospital, I am going to write a full report on the experience. I have received well wishes from many of you, and am grateful for your thoughts and prayers.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Science/sto...2942052&page=2

Regards,
    Randy Thornton

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Re: Whale Smack Down!

Randy;

This is a good place to tell your story.

Wow.

G

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

WOW!

Randy, glad to hear that you are (now) all right but it could have been much-much worse. You are still alive!

Hope you will get well soon!

Have to remember this incident for future reference...
    Last edited by decoweenie; 14th March 2007 at 08:06.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Holly Mackeral Randy! Way to break a femur! I needed a motorcycle to break a bone that thick. I would have much prefered your way if given the chance...

What were you diving with, a snorkel? I thought they didn't allow OC. I know an operator who will take CCR divers out there and claimed it's not a violation of the rules. I will think twice about taking him up on it in a place like D.R.

Good luck on your recovery, I hope it's only a matter of time. -Andy

Decodiver

Hi Randy,

Glad you are on the road to recovery, hang in there.

I guess this reinforces the fact that down there we are not always the apex predator we think we are!

Take care and mend quick,

Dave.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Hi Randy, welcome back to RBW and congrats on living to tell the tale.
    Am sure I'm not the only one looking forward to it.
    Wish you a speedy recovery.

Note to self: Don't get b!tch-slapped by a whale!

Banned marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm has a spectacular aura about marekm's Avatar

Hi Randy,

Are you aware that half the world has seen the footage of you getting your leg broken? Your more or less famous now!

However, where I live, the Australian media (who do not represent my views) were pretty scathing of your actions and made you and charter operator out to be the bad guys, so your more infamous around here.

Cheers.
    -Marek

Custom Title Allowed! Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck's Avatar

Hope you feel better.

Still Learning Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, if not, someone please feel free to move this thread.

What kind of rebreather were you diving when you had your accident?.....Just kidding....glad to have you with the living...

Tom

I do all my own stunts shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back's Avatar

ouch! that made me hurt. I had a left ankle internal fixation with an epidural and can't imagine the sight of a hack saw instead of the power saw ,freakin A thats crazy. it sounds like the whale was the least of the pain. Good luck and I hope you are on some serious antibiotics. Get well soon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast