+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Sacramento

New Member 16nine is an unknown quantity at this point 16nine's Avatar

Greetings from Sacramento

The last week visiting RBW provided more helpful info than the past 3 years looking across the internet... I'm pleased to be a new member and look forward to interacting with everyone

I've been diving conventionally (guess you folks call this open-circuit) for over 20 yrs, most recently with the luxury of a drysuit which now makes my nor cal dives never-long-enough. CCRs look like the closest thing to gills one can get, it's going to be a painful 2 years before I can consider a purchase (kids still in college). In the meantime, looking forward to the action here!

Phil

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Greetings from Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by 16nine  View Original Post
    CCRs look like the closest thing to gills one can get,... Phil
    Yup, Pretty much!:D Still envious though!

welcome...and have you consider jumping in sooner with a used classic Inspo unit or a mCCR like the sport Kiss for lots less $$$ (I've heard of training and unit combo deals for about 5,500). I simply chose to put off having the kids in the first place, though the time is coming.

Gill

Gill Envy

Gill - good idea, hadnt really considered a rental-course setup. worth looking into. every now & then i see a small group training when i dive monterey (which is frequent) - that could be my first step. will look thru the forum posts, somethings sure to *surface* many thanks for your reply - phil

Enjoying the silence Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Kiss Sport

Welcome to group. you are just down the hill from me..

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Just imagine diving mano lobo or the pinacles or point lobos for hours on end! Your chance of seeing the big palagics would be higher. If you have easy access to that area, I wouldn't wait, It's some of the best diving i've done cold or tropic.

I've found one thing to be true for diving carmell/monterey...best to get your fill of diving there whenever the weather is perfect so when it's not you're not tempted to put yourself into misserable conditions. when the weather is sub optimal there is so much other fun stuff to do in that area. A rebreather has helped us take full advantage of the times that the water is calm and clear.

but like i said, we've put off having kids a few more years, even put off purchasing a house for a year so we could afford the time and money for rebreathers and adventure travel...it has definitely been a big committment that has come with it's sacrafices, since we are relatively young and not born millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by 16nine  View Original Post
    Gill - good idea, hadnt really considered a rental-course setup. worth looking into. every now & then i see a small group training when i dive monterey (which is frequent) - that could be my first step. will look thru the forum posts, somethings sure to *surface* many thanks for your reply - phil

Gill Envy

Gill - very, very tempting, your description is everything I'd imagine. I'm soooo close to a purchase that needs to wait a little longer. mebbe after tax season... agree - monterey, mendo, etc. can be crazy weather this time, then the bloom hits, but there are always choices and i'll never complain. how fortunate we are to have so many dive sites within a relatively short drive. was talking to a guy from Las Crucas who has to go several hours to dive in a land-locked cavern - interesting, he said but nothing changes. was down at breakwater & playground late Jan with 90-ft vis almost entire weekend, 2 wks later back to normal 20-ft

my ccr delay is a tough but obvious decision right now - get kids thru undergrad, wife has another year on her masters. i'm counting on technology, reliability & cost improving, meanwhile will keep researching posts and take any voluntary suggestions. great idea on the training/purchase route! how long have you been doing this and what got you started?

+ Reply to Thread