+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cochran EMC-20H

RBW Member jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep's Avatar

Cochran EMC-20H

Hi List,

Ive recently bought a Cochran EMC-20H and find it very user
    friendly.
    On adverage dives 40m-50m I find the profile quite good but
    on deeper dives 80m+ I find that it gives very deep stops ie:
    starting at 60m for 2-4 mins then every 3m or so upto 6m then
    hardly gives anything at 6m which is quite scarey.
    I phoned Cochran about this and they assured me that this is
    quite normal when useing high He mixes 15/60 as He is a fast.

I,m not desputeing Cochrans claims, it makes sense as I do know
    a little about deco theory but was wondering if anybody else out
    there is useing this computer and how do you find it.

Regards,

Jeff

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Re: Cochran EMC-20H

Quote Originally Posted by jkeep  View Original Post
    Hi List,

friendly.

Regards,

Jeff

I understand how their deep stops are chosen, and its a valid solution.. If you follow the profiles as presented, your middle stops will be longer than other models, but the shallow stops are shorter as you have seen.. Overall runtime should be very similiar.. If you shorten the deeper stops by skipping them, you will get heavily penalized when shallow..

The idea behind what they are doing is that they are putting a stricter limit on bubble growth so that you maintain efficient offgassing..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

...was wondering if anybody else out
    In addition...

If anyone has followed a standard GF profile while diving with an EMC-20H (i.e. ignoring its longer deep stops) ?

If you have, did the Cochran sulk when you skipped its longer deep stops in favor of shorter stops ? And if not, how were the end RTs compared ?

EDITED: (since Joe answered part of the questions)

Joe, how were the end RTs compared when it penalized for skipping its longer deep stops ?
    Last edited by decoweenie; 5th March 2007 at 19:32.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    In addition...

If anyone has followed a standard GF profile while diving with an EMC-20H (i.e. ignoring its longer deep stops) ?

If you have, did the Cochran sulk when you skipped its longer deep stops in favor of shorter stops ? And if not, how were the end RTs compared ?

EDITED: (since Joe answered part of the questions)

Joe, how were the end RTs compared when it penalized for skipping its longer deep stops ?

You get VERY penalized.. I found this out when I was testing it against the explorer in rgbm and the HH... I never bothered to let it fully clear, but I remember a particular dive that I was already on the surface and it was still insisting on a 9m stop! If I followed the cochran stops, all 3 computers cleared within minutes of each other.. The cochran will also bang you hard for fast ascents.. If you get an ascent rate warning, expect to hang extra...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep has a spectacular aura about jkeep's Avatar

I havnt yet skipped any deep stops or shortened
    them, haveing read the replies I dont intend doing :)

What do people think to the Cochran compared to
    the VR3, Ive read Cedrics report on both computers
    thats what made me choose the Cochran.

Jeff

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    ...If I followed the cochran stops, all 3 computers cleared within minutes of each other...
    At least that's good since you don't care about gas usage on CCR, but that is a concern for OC as more gas is needed for deeper profile.

Does the Cochran lock out if you bend it ?

Helium Addict O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    Does the Cochran lock out if you bend it ?
    No, if you ascend above the ceiling or several stops, it will keep calculating and penalize you. In essence, you ascend past several stops and then wait for the computer to catch up. You will hang longer.

Had a complete flood at the end of a 240' dive (38 degrees). Blew off a bunch of stops to get to 70' where the water was above 55 degrees. This added 30+ minutes to my total run time, but I lived to tell the story. Computer blinked and beeped at me the whole time, but kept on calculating.

Ted

What decompresssion algorithm is it using?

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    The idea behind what they are doing is that they are putting a stricter limit on bubble growth so that you maintain efficient offgassing..
    So it's a bubble model? VPM? RGBM? Their own?
    Last edited by UWSojourner; 5th March 2007 at 22:08.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by UWSojourner  View Original Post
    What decompresssion algorithm is it using?
    extremely unknown... when you ask them

but it looks reliable until now!

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

Hi List,

friendly.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff it is performing properly

The 20 compartment model likes deep stops and also allows you to "push" PO2 at gas switches or when you pump the PO2 up.

We use NAUTILUS Dive Planner with the HKBM bubble model and fly the EMC20 at a Con10 factor. We find that the EMC20 will usually clear the 20 fsw (6 msw) stop about 10 min sooner than the NAUTILUS schedule.

I also find that when i do a gas switch to say 50/50 at 70 fsw and I push the PO2 for an extra 5 min at 1.6 atm I can drop the shallow stops back by almost the same amount of time.

It took me a while to get used to the shorter shallow stops but I still extend them by 5-10 min.

It's a fun computer to use.

Cheers