I have been sketching this current DIY-model in my thoughts and on paper for a few years. Now after Mikko (Ekke) joined the project in January it have got forward much faster. The rebreather have been almost completely modelled with a CAD program (DSS Catia). In the pictures green means O2.
First parts have been machined. Our goal is to get the rb into pool testing in the next two months.
Desing goals are low profile (about the same as twin 12l), back mounted counterlungs, simple and robust design. Tanks will be 3l steel 232bar. The scrubber size will be about the same as Inspiration (OD 144mm & length 170mm for the lime).
O2 feed will be handled with a leaky valve or a solenoid or both (solenoid as a parachute). The PO2 display will be the PO2 controller display or a 3xPO2 display aka KISS. HUD will be a separete unit sharing the three cells and blinking smithers code. The PO2 setpoint controller is designed by Tommi (TSA).
The backplate is almost like a standard model. It will have two bends less for lower profile. MAV's will be attached to the backplate strap above the shoulder D-rings. SPG's will be attached to the straps beside backup lamps. More detailed hose routing is still under work.
The pool version will have Ray hoses and DSV. Cooper or RE Darling hoses are in mind for the final version. BOV would be nice but is not at top priority at this stage.
I have got 2mm neoprene with smooth surface for the counterlungs. It's easy to sew and seal the seams with Aquasure. We are looking for cordura laminated PU for the final version. It's quite hard to find.
Exhale counterlung (red in pictures) got a Apeks OPV at the bottom. Water drains from the scrubber and exhale counterlung into the bottom of exhale counterlung and may be expelled though the OPV. Counterlungs are directly connected to the scrubber. The connectors are made by George Fischer.
We will not use an ADV in the first model. It may be used in the final version or left as an option. Let see how much it is needed. I have dived the ADV shut off with my Inspiration. It's no problem pushing the DIL button during descent at the same time you ad more gas to drysuit or wing. Less taskload is better for some situations though.
I wrote this story in such a early stage so we could get comments and new views for the design. All comments and suggestions are welcome. We would also need a name for the project.
Pictures of the rb:
The big yellow tanks are for size comparison (12l 200bar).
First machined parts. The virtual CAD model is turning into reality.
Setpoint controller under construction.