+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first use of a sidemount rebreather

first use of a sidemount rebreather

I have been doing some research for a book and stumbled across what I believe is the first use of a sidemount rebreather.

Steve Wynne-Roberts used a side-slung SEBA-ATEA (submarine escape breathing appartus - amphibious tank escape apparatus) hybrid to pass Sump 6 in Swildon's hole on 2 June 1962 in the company of Mike Boon and Mike Thompson (on OC). The equipment was then used to pass Sump 2 in Stoke Lane Slocker for the first time on 16 September of the same year.

A photograph of the kit (modelled by Aubry Newport) is attached and reproduced by kind permission of Phil Davies. A description appears in "A Pictorial history of Swildon's Hole", WCC Occasional Publication (1975) edited by P Davies.
    Attached Images

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Re: first use of a sidemount rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Price  View Original Post
    I have been doing some research for a book and stumbled across what I believe is the first use of a sidemount rebreather.

Steve Wynne-Roberts used a side-slung SEBA-ATEA (submarine escape breathing appartus - amphibious tank escape apparatus) hybrid to pass Sump 6 in Swildon's hole on 2 June 1962 in the company of Mike Boon and Mike Thompson (on OC). The equipment was then used to pass Sump 2 in Stoke Lane Slocker for the first time on 16 September of the same year.

A photograph of the kit (modelled by Aubry Newport) is attached and reproduced by kind permission of Phil Davies. A description appears in "A Pictorial history of Swildon's Hole", WCC Occasional Publication (1975) edited by P Davies.
    Thats just really you in your kit, you used photoshop to make the photo look old. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Thats just really you in your kit, you used photoshop to make the photo look old. LOL
    The diffucult bit was doing the extra hair.

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

The diffucult bit was doing the extra hair.
    Except this joke and whatever you think about joker it is AFAIK, the first modern sidemounted RB and a great idea from Fred Badier.
    The developpement of the joki from an idea of Xavier Menniscus drived to a double RB dived up to 185 m in several cave dives.

Said that just for not to forget it, as anybody forgot that the pSCR system used in RB80 as been developped first by a french "engineer" to create the DC 55.

That said perhaps turning a sidemounted RB into a mCCR came first to Duncan Price's mind.

Let us know

Marc T

Quote Originally Posted by Marc T  View Original Post
    Except this joke and whatever you think about joker it is AFAIK, the first modern sidemounted RB and a great idea from Fred Badier.

That said perhaps turning a sidemounted RB into a mCCR came first to Duncan Price's mind.
    Steady on! I have never claimed to have invented the concept of a sidemounted rebreather. In fact it was Rick Stanton who was devising a sidemounted unit for explorations in (amongst other places) Wookey Hole. Rick and Fred are good friends and I'm sure that there was a lot of exchange of ideas. Its not about competition but about collaboration.

AFAIK the Joker was worn behind the diver's shoulders. At least in its original configuration.

The SEBA-ATEA is a constant mass flow O2 unit. It was the final type of rebreather used by the CDG before the switch from closed circuit to open circuit diving occurred in the early 1960's. Mike Boon had already demonstrated the utility of sidemounting (open circuit) to pass constricted sumps and his 1/4's rule is probably the first gas managment strategy for overhead diving. It was only natural that CCR divers would try the same mounting technique.

Rick, John Volanthen and I all put together sidemount mCCR's about the same time in early 2004 - mine first D5 underwent field trials in Florida in March of this year and Rick used his underground in France at or around the same time. I'm sure that we weren't the first.

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

Steady on! I have never claimed to have invented the concept of a sidemounted rebreather. In fact it was Rick Stanton who was devising a sidemounted unit for explorations in (amongst other places) Wookey Hole. Rick and Fred are good friends and I'm sure that there was a lot of exchange of ideas. Its not about competition but about collaboration.

AFAIK the Joker was worn behind the diver's shoulders. At least in its original configuration.

The SEBA-ATEA is a constant mass flow O2 unit. It was the final type of rebreather used by the CDG before the switch from closed circuit to open circuit diving occurred in the early 1960's. Mike Boon had already demonstrated the utility of sidemounting (open circuit) to pass constricted sumps and his 1/4's rule is probably the first gas managment strategy for overhead diving. It was only natural that CCR divers would try the same mounting technique.

Rick, John Volanthen and I all put together sidemount mCCR's about the same time in early 2004 - mine first D5 underwent field trials in Florida in March of this year and Rick used his underground in France at or around the same time. I'm sure that we weren't the first.
    Hey cool man! Really sorry you take that as an offense, but that was a real and simple questions about
    1 first cylindrical RB ( perhaps RB 80 )
    2 cylindrical sidemounted RB ( under or other the shoulder is not the problem )
    3 cylindrical mCCR RB and I really dont know who is the first: Stanton's BOTS, Ducan Price D5 or Badier-Menniscus Joki

A really Paranoīd wind blow other RBW today

Quote Originally Posted by Marc T  View Original Post
    Hey cool man! Really sorry you take that as an offense, but that was a real and simple questions about
    1 first cylindrical RB ( perhaps RB 80 )
    2 cylindrical sidemounted RB ( under or other the shoulder is not the problem )
    3 cylindrical mCCR RB and I really dont know who is the first: Stanton's BOTS, Duncan Price D5 or Badier-Menniscus Joki

A really Paranoīd wind blow other RBW today
    No offense taken. Its not really about being first - a lot of prototypes are truely awful (I know my initial attempt at a SM rebreather was not very good).

Rick Stanton, by his own admission, copied concepts from the RB80 (scrubber design) and Joker (position of counterlung) in the BOTS. I copied Rick.

To return to the original post, my only reason for making it was to point out that others were exploring the same concepts 40 years ago using ex-military units. OC sidemounting won the day and it is only now that we are coming full circle.

Maybe I should invent the world's first triangular rebreather and mount it up my

:)

Decodiver

Maybe I should invent the world's first triangular rebreather and mount it up my

Zak has been doing that for years..........LMFAO!

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

LOL...that would be the Toberlaron ( )as opposed to Megeladon then?

Steve

JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

To return to the original post, my only reason for making it was to point out that others were exploring the same concepts 40 years ago using ex-military units. OC sidemounting won the day and it is only now that we are coming full circle.

Nice to see there is no problem. As say in many previous post its very easy to be misunderstood when "speaking" on the net and my response wasnt clear enough.
    I clearely understood what you said and why in your first post, its always interesting to see that whatether you think inventing about RB it has been already invented two time ( at least ).
    Was a bit astonished because of no reply on an important post so tried to develop...
    Sidemounted RB is a great step in RB which allowed some nice explorations but MORE allowed a new start in practical CCR backup.
    Cheers
    Marc T